Friday, August 9, 2013

What's Important?

"It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle."

We hear this over and over again in the weight loss world.

What does my "lifestyle" have to do with my weight?

I thought I understood it. Paleo-low-carb-theWhole30 --none of that was a diet-- it was, I thought--a healthy way to live. I still do. But, I hope it is not the only healthy way to live because it isn't sustainable--at least not for this single income family of four which includes two teenagers.

I need a way to eat that I know I will be able to do for always. I need a way to exercise that's attainable no matter what my circumstances, too. (Though, I'm fortunate and I know it is highly unlikely that I'll ever live in an urban environment without sidewalks, or where it is too dangerous to walk outside, thank goodness.)

It's about sustainability. It's about consistency. It's about eating and exercising in a way that I want to live with forever.

And it about more than food and exercise.

The way you live affects the way your body manages your weight.
Erika Nicole Kendall. Excerpted from Why Is It “A Lifestyle Change?” | A Black Girl's Guide To Weight Loss.

What's "way I live?" how and when I sleep, how I manage my stress, the quality of my primary relationships, whether I'm happy or depressed. I musn't forget this.

No comments:

Post a Comment