Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Goals for 2013 and One Thing for January

I hardly know what to say.

Should I say I want to lose a ton of weight? 'cause I do. Will I? Well, we'll see, 'cause losing weight is not the most important thing in my life. I am currently 229 lbs. It's great. I can put on my own socks and tie my shoes, I don't have to ask my husband to slow down any more when we go out for a walk together -- I am quite happy in this skin I'm in -- and the urgency is gone.

But would I be disappointed if I am still 229 next year? Well, yes. I have it in the back of my mind that I'd like to do a tough mudder the year I turn 50 which is next year, 2014. I could view this entire year as being in training for it.

I want to focus on sleep, my relationships with my immediate family, expressing my creativity, becoming stronger, a better housekeeper, a better cook. I want the whole family to be healthier. I haven't worked any of this out into a concrete SMART formula, I haven't made any decisions about what, for example, "strong" looks like. Obviously, I haven't made any plans for how to acheive any of them.

Most of all? I want this year to be calm. I want to make changes--but I want to achieve them without becoming frantic or stressed.

So, that's where I'm at. I'm enrolled in a goals setting class at Simplify 101, so I know it will all get worked out.

The One Thing?

Sleep.

I just finished reading Lights Out, Sleep, Sugar and Survival. It is an odd book. Amusing. Frightening. The premise--that we are making ourselves sick by living in an endless summer of light makes sense to me, even if I got a bit lost at times in the metaphors.

So, for January, I intend to sleep 9 hours a night. Starting tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment