Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Wednesday Weigh In: The Recommitted Edition

HW: 252.6 (Sept 30, 2012)
CW: 219.4 (-2.6 from last week)
GW: 140's
Height: 5'5
Age: 49

Wow. Happy dance.

After much hemming and hawing, I joined Roni's Diet Bet. I did it after an epiphany that sometimes a goal is worth having simply for the journey it will take us on. I may or may not win the bet, what matters most is that I'll do my best.

I've recommitted to eating between 50 and100 grams of carbs a day. Mark Sisson recommends that range for weight loss. (Weight maintenance is 100 to 150, and insidious weight gain happens from150 to 225 or so. Picture red flashing lights at around 300 grams per day. Danger!)

I also set a goal for working out: 30 miles this month. I know, it's a laugh compared to the way some work out, but I don't want to over do it. Anything I do I have to be willing to keep on doing: or the weight will come back.

In fact, that's one of the reasons I have never set actual weight loss goals in the past, like lose so many pounds in this much time, or weigh 216 by the morning of February 28th . I'd rather set goals which deal with my behaviour. The number is out of my hands.  It may or may not be whatever it needs to be. But, my behaviour is definitely within my control--and I need to be careful about what I do. One of the best pieces of advice for weight loss I ever picked up was "Do only what you're willing to do, for keeps."

So, this great experiment may backfire. March might see me stalled out again, unwilling to duplicate the effort I am putting in right now--or maybe not. At the end of it all I may be energised and motivated to keep going. Spring is coming and I want to meet it sleeveless and shameless.

No comments:

Post a Comment